Buy One Get One (shortly referred as "BOGO") deals are very popular among the stores, whether they are physical or online store fronts.
The WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin support the creation of several types of BOGO deals.
Understanding the BOGO Deals
At the surface level, the BOGO deals might look very simple to understand. Most store owners would say "what is the big deal about having a BOGO. All I want is a Buy 1 Get 1 free offer"
However, if you take a bit deeper look, this has several meanings.
Does "Buy 1 and Get 1 Free" could mean any of the below,
- Buy any product from the store and get another of the "same" product free?
- Buy 1 quantity of Product A and get 1 quantity of Product B free? (a different product)?
- Buy any product from the store and get 1 quantity of a "cheapest" product free?
- If a cheapest product, do you want to specify which of the cheapest?
- What happens if a customer purchases 2 products? Does he get 2 products free ?
- Again, those 2 products are "selected ones" or let the plugin to choose the cheapest among the two?
Now you get the idea. Though the phrase "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" seems plain, it could have different meanings.
The complexity of the BOGO rules increases when you wanted to offer something like "Buy 2 get 1 free" or "Buy 2 and get 50% off on 1 product"
Example of the complexities :
- Is it Buy 2 and get 1 among the cheapest free?
- Is it Buy 2 and get a third cheapest product free ?
- Is it Buy 2 and get a third "selected" product free?
- What happens if customer purchases 4 products? Should he get 2 products free or just 1 product?
- Should it apply to same products (Buy X and Get X) as well or different products (Buy X and Get Y )
Configuring BOGO Deals
Defining the BOGO deal requirement is the first step to crack the complexities.
Just get a clear definition of the your BOGO discount requirement.
We have created a number of examples for the BOGO Deals. These should get you started easily.
Simple BOGO Deals:
- Buy any product from the store and get 50% off on the second of the same product (or 3rd, 4th, 5th, all get 50% off)
- Buy 1 quantity of Product A and get 1 quantity of Product B free
- Buy 1 Product A and get Product B and C free (1 free quantity)
- Buy 1 Product A and get 50% off on Product B
Complex BOGO Deals:
- Buy 1 quantity of Product A and get the same product free (Repeated when customer purchases 2, he gets 2 more free)
- Buy any ONE product from Category A, get 1 cheapest product free ( NO Repeat. Just 1 cheapest will be free for any number of purchases)
- Buy 2 products from Category A and get 1 cheapest from the same Category A free. (with repeat option. Buy 4, get 2 cheapest, Buy 6, get 3 cheapest)