Getting Started with Pre-paid / Upfront payments
Are you a store owner who sells subscription based products on your store?
Do you wish to provide an option that allows customers to pay upfront for the subscription ?
Example: You may want to allow a customer to pre-pay for 12 months for a monthly subscription product with a discount.
Well, you can do that easily with the WooCommerce Pre-paid subscriptions plugin.
The WooCommerce Prepaid Subscriptions plugin allows store owners to collect upfront payments for subscriptions.
The store owner can either add the up front amount to the order while calculating order total or allow customers to choose by placing the checkbox.
- Download the extension in .zip format.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded.
- Click Install Now, and then Activate.
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout and read the next section to learn how to setup and configure the plugin.
- WordPress 4.4.1 or greater
- WooCommerce 3.0.0 or greater
- WooCommerce Subscription 2.0.0 or greater
- PHP version 5.5.0 or greater
- MySQL version 5.0 or greater
Receiving Upfront payments for your subscriptions
- Create a subscription product or open your existing subscription product.
- In the product data part, you will find the settings for upfront payment called Payment Upfront Option.
- Allow upfront payment:
- Allow only Upfront payment - This would set the upfront payment as the only payment option.
- Allow Upfront payment and recurring (Customer to choose)- This would allow users to choose between upfront payment or normal recurring payments.
4. Subscription length: Here you could choose the duration for which you would like to receive upfront payments. For example: If the length of your subscription is 6 months in total and if you set up 2 months as the duration here, the payment for 2 months will be collected upfront from the user.
5. Discount type: If you wish to set up discounts for the upfront payment, you could choose the discount type here. If not, please leave this empty.
- Percentage- Choosing this will apply discounts in terms of percentage.
- Fixed- Selecting this will apply fixed price discounts on upfront payments.
6. Discount amount: Specify the amount to be deducted as discount.
7. Upfront additional message: Specify the additional message for upfront payment(if any).
CAUTION: UPFRONT PAYMENT WILL NOT WORK FOR SUBSCRIPTION PRODUCT WITH A FREE TRAIL.
Total duration of the subscription: 6 months
Upfront payment to be received for: 2 months
Discount to be applied: 10 percent
For the above scenario, the settings should be configured like this:
1. Allowed Upfront Payment: Upfront and recurring payments
2. Subscription length: 2 months
3. Discount type: Percentage
4. Discount Amount: 10
5. Upfront additional message: None
Here is the screenshot depicting the above scenario:
The product will appear at the frontend like this:
NOTE: DO NOT DELETE OR DEACTIVATE THE PLUGIN IF YOU HAVE PREPAID SUBSCRIPTIONS RUNNING ON YOUR STORE. IF YOU DO SO, THE USERS WHO HAVE SUBSCRIBED FOR PREPAID SUBSCRIPTIONS WILL BE GO BACK TO THE NORMAL SUBSCRIPTION TERM WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.